This section is for those who don’t want to read this guide (yet). Creating a web page is simple; using all the features of ShoutCMS to build comprehensive internet communications is more complex. The following will help you access the site administrator to create a new page and place it on your site. It does not cover broader topics and available features supported by ShoutCMS.
Access the ShoutCMS Administration Console
Managing your ShoutCMS website is done from the ShoutCMS Administration Console. The console is accessible online from any internet browser (we recommend Firefox). Navigate to http://YourSite.shoutcms.net/admin where “YourSite” is the domain name that you provided when your ShoutCMS account was created. You will be asked for a username and password. Use the username and password of the Primary Contact that was created when the ShoutCMS Hosting account was created.
Create a “Hello World” PageFollow the instructions below to create a new page, connect it to the menu, and display its featured summary on the Home page of your new site:
- Open a browser tab at https://YourSite
.shoutcms.net/admin (no www's).
- Login using the account credentials of the account's Primary Contact.
- On the Administration Dashboard click on the Pages icon located at the top of the screen.
- Click on “Add Page” (orange button) – the Page Designer will display a new blank page.
- Enter “Hello World” in the Title field. Note that the Search Engine Friendly URL (“hello-world”) is entered for you. Click on the “+” to see the URL or to change it to any unique name on the site.
- Upload a Featured Image to the Images Gallery. This image is displayed when the page is featured on other pages (e.g the home page) on the site. Click 'Edit' located beside the Featured Image(s) & Gallery input box. Click on 'Upload Images'. Use the file manager on your workstation to locate the image to be uploaded (images with a 5x3 aspect ratio work best). Drag the image(s) that you want to the Image Uploader. Click on the star icon to select the featured image. Click on “Okay” to save the changes to the featured image (and gallery images).
- Add the page to the site-tree: Click on the “Select Placement” button. On the Site-tree, click on the “Home” button. Click on Okay.
- Add “This page says Hello World” in the Featured Summary text area.
- Open the Content tab to access the Content Editor. Type in “Hello World” (or other text that you want to have displayed on the page). Use the style sheet heading option options or modify the fonts and colours to suit your needs.
- The remaining fields/controls are optional – leave them “as-is” or experiment as you like
- Click on the “Save” button.
- Open another tab in your browser and navigate to your site (http://YourSite.shoutcms.net).
Refresh your browser window and you will see Hello World on the main menu. Click on the tag to open the page
Welcome to the simplicity of the ShoutCMS Page Designer!
To Link your Hello World page as a feature on the Home page
- From the Page Designer, display the site-tree (click on the Pages icon at the top of the screen)
- Click on the “Home” page to open the existing Home page.
- Open the Content tab and then the Add Related Content options (located at the bottom)
- Click on "Select Related Content"
- Scroll down to the “Medium Feature”, Click on “Add” (or "remove" to remove an existing feature)
- Click on “Select” associated with the blank feature
- In the pop-up, locate your “Hello World” page and click on the radio-button beside the name
- Click on Okay to close the pop-up
- To change the order of the Related content, drag-and-drop the entry (click and hold on the up/down arrows, move the mouse up or down as required, and release the button when hovering over the new location). Repeat as necessary.
- Scroll to the bottom (or top) of the Page Designer and click on the “Save” button.
- Refresh your site’s home page to see the changes you made.
Other Page Designer Features
The Quick Start has scratched the surface of what the Page Designer can do. The following topics are covered in the detailed sections of this guide (Creating A Page):
- Inserting hyperlinks, images, tables, and embedded html formatting using the WYSIWYG editor.
- Add a photo gallery to the page (e.g. show a number of photographs taken at an event, or display graphics/images that accompany instructions).
- Add products and Articles (sub-pages) that are listed when the page is displayed.
- Define the start and end dates during which the page will be displayed.
- Secure the page so only certain individuals can access its content.
- Enter search engine text.
- Add a web form to the page.
- Configure social media widgets.
- Configure user comments and page ratings.
- Create and import template content to facilitate site consistency when creating new pages.